I feel like Carrie Bradshaw now trying to write something sensible when she is just randomly speaking her mind. My boss lent me her laptop so I can still continue working while in Mexico alone for three days. I still need to do market research during the day and I have to attend to my emails and orders that have been backlogged in HK when I return to the hotel. But enough about my super demanding job for the meantime. Can I just say that this crazy fun? How about writing while on board a plane and watching Ratatouille? Very chic yuppie, eh?
Let me write about my homecoming. This is long overdue but I’d still want to write about it. I may not have much to share but I want to record what I felt during this event when I reread my posts. It is an event filled with emotions and I want to be remembered as much as I want to.
The most important about it was that I was able to rest. I had been working for 20 hours per day that I could sometimes forget that I hadn’t peed all day, or that I hadn’t eaten my dinner due to the pile of work. It is really crazy shit, and I have to admit that it was semi self-imposed. Being a Virgo, I am really a perfectionist and I take work seriously. I hate it when work gets held up just because one is not responsible enough to treat everything he/she does as a definition of himself/herself. I look down on people who leave things for tomorrow what they could do today. Anyway, I was able to get my rest – just enough to compensate for more than one year of insufficient sleep.
I was able to see my family. Things have definitely turned around and I have much great say on what happens at home now. I am technically the one who puts food on the table – just the way when kids grow up and take care of their parents. It was indeed a devastating blow when my father lost his job and pension because of politics inside his company. Imagine having to depend on your daughter financially when you used to be the “king” of the house for more than two decades. I could just imagine his fear of living an unsecured later life. It was also a blow for me because I know I am not yet ready. But I guess you’ll never know if it’s the right time until it hits you, so you just have to face it. No more quarter life crisis for me then. But saying all of these, I have to say that I hadn’t respected my parents until then. Resilience is really synonymous with our surname and I can say that we were able to recover gradually. My mother, as usual, is the head of the head of the household and I never appreciated her strength until I saw how she worked hard to make things work. My father is also very much dedicated on doing household works (apart from helping my mother), which he’s never ashamed of. I respect them for putting up the pieces and getting more united more than ever. And don’t forget my loving sister! She’s my complete opposite. If you ask me who’s the kindest person I’ve met, I’d definitely nominate her. While I bitch around and rant incessantly, she’s there acting like the matured sibling filled with generosity and understanding. And of course my protégé Anjelica. She’s so much grown up now – and still very sweet and adorable. She’s the only reason why I want to have a kid of my own.
As in my previous post, I was able to see some friends. It’s a pity that I hadn’t seen more of them (I have to blame the weather for that), but I’ll see them early next year anyway. The friends that I saw were the people that I would want to see anyway. I never felt a sense of estrangement when I saw them. Of course we missed a lot of each other the past year and a half, but I have to give them credit for making me feel like I am still very welcomed in their lives.
I once again experienced the bad things generally innate in Philippine culture that I thankfully escaped – scarcity of decent public transportation, horrible traffic, smoke belchers, idle women who waste their time about gossiping, pretentious café drinkers, spitting drivers, smelly public restrooms, crowded malls and those unemployed men who drink until early morning while doing karaoke on the streets. But hell yeah, it’s still what I call home. And I guess I will always come back even if I am working in Hong Kong but currently in Mexico and still experiencing jetlag from Chile. Because despite these, no where else I can see genuine smiles, good sunshine, company of friends, the liberty to express emotions to my heart’s content, and the loving arms of the people waiting for my next homecoming.
No comments:
Post a Comment